hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Pig rework on the types branch
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:25:53 GMT
Earl,

I wanted to talk with you about this.  We aren't requiring UDF
writers to convert their contributions in piggybank.  However, we're
not promising when we'll get to it either.  It will be a best effort
kind of thing.  So, if you'd be willing to update yours, that would
be great.

For your UDFs the conversion shouldn't be too bad.  The way tuples
are created has changed.  And you'll want to change from DataAtom to
String.  Other than that, I think you'll be good to go.

As to whether you want to write your new classes on types or trunk,
it depends on the version of pig you want to use.  If you're
comfortable with using the types stuff, I would definitely encourage
you to work there, since that's the future and it avoids the need for
future translation.

Thanks for the heads up on the doc, I've fixed it.

Alan.