hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Pig rework on the types branch
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:24:06 GMT
All,

As you have probably noticed if you've been watching the mailing
list, much work has gone into an almost complete rework of pig over
the last six months.  This work has been done on the types branch in
order to avoid destabilizing the trunk.  This work includes a
complete rewrite of the backend of pig, including the interface to
map reduce and the operators that execute a pig script on hadoop.  It
also introduces a type system to pig.  A number of new features have
been added and performance has been significantly improved (averaging
around 2x though varying greatly by script).  And, while we strove to
be backward compatible whenever possible, there are places where
changes are required in user scripts or UDFs.  Full details of the
changes are available at http://wiki.apache.org/pig/TrunkToTypesChanges

After much testing by the developers and a number of brave users, we
feel the code on the types branch is now approaching stability.  We
would like to suggest that users begin using the code on the types
branch.  At some point in the near future, we would like to merge the
types branch into trunk and then do a 0.2.0 release.

Alan.