hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From "Haijun Cao" <hai...@kindsight.net>
Subject RE: local bytes read/written
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 23:25:01 GMT

I am getting worried on the huge number of bytes written to local fs. I
have a 2 machine cluster, one has 100% io util, one has 10-20% io util
during map phase, the input data is replicated on both machines
(replication = 2). So I suspect the extra 80-90% io on the first machine
is caused by read/write to local fs.

Which machine and which directory does this "local fs" refer to? So that
I can check myself if it is the culprit.

Thanks.
Haijun

-----Original Message-----
From: Haijun Cao [mailto:haijun@kindsight.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:44 PM
To: pig-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: local bytes read/written

Hi,

I just started using pig, it is really fun to write pig query.

I noticed in the map reduce job page, it reports bytes read/written
from/to local file system, and the number is 2x, 3x of the bytes
read/write to hadoop. Just want to understand the internal working of
pig a little bit better, what operations read/write to local fs? For
what purpose? Is it to the local fs of the data nodes? which directory?

Thanks
Haijun