hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From "pi song" <pi.so...@gmail.com>
Subject Handling of untyped execution in type branch?
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 14:00:21 GMT
How do we handle untyped executions?

There are two ways:-

1. Stick dummy schema of ByteArrays in LOLoad.  This way is a bit ugly but
very simple to do.  Bad things: 1) This enforces maximum tuple arity for
untyped execution.  2) We also have to carry a number of schema fields to
downstream operators.

2. Implement all LOs to support null schema. This is more clean but requires
a bit more work. I still see some LOs like LOUnion that will die immediately
in getSchema() if one of the inputs have a null schema.

I am more tempted to do (2) just because I want it to be clean but we could
do (1) first if we want to get the whole thing done quickly.
What about other people's opinion?

Pi