hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@101tec.com>
Subject we need a release or a branch
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:17:03 GMT
Dear Developers,

I think we need a 0.0.1 release or a branch! Let me explain why I
think so, I'm sorry if I'm too honest but I prefer an open
constructive discussion.
I wonder what the motivation was to publish pig as open source. My
understanding of an open source projet is that the ultimate goal is to
establish a user and developer community and split the workload but
also drive the development by the community needs and not just from
one perspective.
In the moment I do not see the open source community that much
involved.  I understand and agree the need of an shared goal and a
decision maker. However I thought that is defined in http://wiki.apache.org/pig/ProposedRoadMap

. What disappoint me as someone that invested significant time to
contribute improvements is that things move too slow from my point of
view.

As mentioned me and my colleagues are happy to help full-time to fix
issues since we want to use pig in production and I see a couple more
people in the list that working hard to contribute patches.

But currently to get a patch to trunk takes a couple weeks so instead
we considering now creating a own fork of pig or moving to cascading
or jaql. Don't get me wrong pig functionality is great, the work to
guys did so far is great and we really appreciate your hard work.
However from a java point of  view there is significant space for
improvement in the code, have a look to hbase test coverage, javadoc
or code style.

So I wondered what makes pig moving that slow and what is the reason
why instead of moving forward there are concerns about removing a
unused class (HConfiguration) or improving the build script
incrementally.
I guess the problem is that pig is already in use in a kind of
production scenarios.

Therefore I suggest we create a prerelease or an brunch to keep this
users happy and start real development in trunk.

Thoughts?

Thanks for being patient with me. :-)
Stefan

101tec Inc.