hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: hadoop15 & hadoop14 both in lib
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:01:55 GMT
A few answers to your questions.

The hadoopX.jar files in pig's lib directory are not the standard hadoop
jars.  They differ in two ways.  First, we recreate a hadoop jar that
rolls in all the jars needed to compile with hadoop.  This is somewhere
around 15 jars.  Second, we have a small hack we add for historical
reasons.  We need to resolve both of those issues.  Once we do we can
use stock hadoop jars instead of carrying along our own.

The reason for having multiple versions is to support compilation
against multiple versions of hadoop.  I'm not sure what the use of
hadoop14 is since we can't compile against it anymore.  But once we've
tested a build against hadoop16 (coming soon), we'll need a library for
that.  And we will be able to build against either 15 or 16.

Alan.