hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:49:49 GMT

On 28.01.2008, at 18:56, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:

> Why not java native logging.  It has come a long way.

Has it arrived? Seriously - I only hear bad things about it. But
never used it myself.

> We keep working around the limitations of commons logging in
> Hadoop.  We break abstraction and use log4j commands to change
> logging levels at run-time and such.

Well, if configuration is required then is does not make much sense
to keep an abstraction ...unless you abstract the configuration away
and provide different implementations.

> Commons logging also imports assumptions about configuration,
> right?  IE a separate  XML file?

CL only makes the assumption that the underlying log library has been
configured. The XML file you are referring to is (mainly) to
configure what Log implementation to use.

cheers
--
Torsten