hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Magnaghi" <antma...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject guideline on branching
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:46:23 GMT
I have a general question about how to handle a common situation.

I would like to start some work to implement features as described in
spec docs on the wiki, namely the abstraction layer portion. This will,
most likely, require multiple check-ins.

On one side, I could take a snap shot of the code base and work locally
on my dev machine. I don't think this is ideal for several reasons: this
would prevent others interested in the work to give feedback as I
progress, additionally I would need to back up my code periodically...

One other possibility is to just make a branch, work on the branch and
then, when the changes have been approved, merge the branch with the
head. However, branching requires some coordination: to decide what
feature(s) really deserve a branch, avoid excessive branch
proliferation, coordination to merge the branch...

In general, do we have some guideline to follow in this regard?

Thanks,

-a.