hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r591140 - /incubator/pig/branches/types/
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:39:58 GMT
Olga Natkovich wrote:
> Since we are new to Apache, I was not aware of the rules on when the
> branches can be created.

That's to be expected.  So please do not take my remarks personally.

I know of no rules specific to branches, but common sense says that a
subversion branch is for shared development.  Sharing implies multiple
committers, and committers must not make project decisions outside of
the mailing lists.  The project needs to operate transparently to
provide a level playing field, so that no contributors have privileged
information.  Its permissible and inevitable that contributors will have
off-list discussions, but any such discussions must be presented to
other contributors before they are acted on, so that all have an equal
opportunity to participate in decisions.

> Actually, people on my team asked that maybe
> you could give us a brief overview of the process to avoid this kind of
> situations in the future.

Suggested readings include:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management
http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html
http://www.cubiclemuses.com/cm/files/incubating_communities.pdf

The last is a nice presentation about project incubation.

But the incubator is all about learning while doing.  Don't worry if you
make a few mistakes.  Each community develops its own standards within
guidelines passed on by mentors.  We're just beginning that process.

Doug