hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From "Olga Natkovich" <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: question on coding style and testing
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:21:31 GMT
Hi Antonio,

My understanding is that each project develops its own style and that's
part of the incubation process. One general rule that I think we should
be using is that if you making changes in an existent file you adhere to
the style of that file to preserve readability of the code. I was
thinking that we should be looking at the rules that hadoop is using as
the starting point to decide what works for us and what requires
changes:

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/

Look at the Developer Documentation section.

Olga

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonio Magnaghi [mailto:antmagna@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 12:15 PM
To: pig-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: question on coding style and testing

Hi All,

I have a couple of related questions about coding style/guidelines and
unit tests.

I have researched the few pages on the Apache website and was not able
to find what I am looking for.

I am curious about policies that may be in place, as I am new to Apache.
I am wondering if there are policies in terms of coding styles like
naming conventions for variables, unit tests requirements, possible code
coverage requirements (or other types of validation on check-ins other
than peer-review).

Are there general guidelines? Or maybe each single project has some
degree of freedom in setting up its own?

Thanks,

-a.