hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From "Olga Natkovich" <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r591140 - /incubator/pig/branches/types/
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 22:55:32 GMT
Doug,

I asked Alan to put this into a separate branch. We have frozen our tree
in preparation for the release of code into apache. Meanwhile we were
doing development work which is pretty major changes to support types
and we needed some place to incrementally save the changes until they
are ready for integration into the trunk.

Since we are new to Apache, I was not aware of the rules on when the
branches can be created. Actually, people on my team asked that maybe
you could give us a brief overview of the process to avoid this kind of
situations in the future.

Alan is in the process of putting documentation for his work into Wiki.
Once it is there, we can have further discussion.

Olga

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:46 PM
To: pig-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: svn commit: r591140 - /incubator/pig/branches/types/

Can you please explain why you're branching?  I'd normally expect
creation of a branch to be discussed on the dev list first.  To me, a
branch implies the need for collaborative development of changes that
are incompatible with trunk development.  Is this the case?  If so, then
there first needs to be a public discussion with potential
collaborators.  To plan a branch in private would be collusion, and a
branch with a single developer doesn't usually make sense.

Thanks,

Doug