hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Dunning" <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject RE: possible use of Pig for OLAP
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:32:28 GMT

I would see PIG for large scale analytics filling up Hbase for fast query and reporting of
the aggregates as an interesting option.

In the future.

The pieces of this vision are definitely not there yet.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Olston [mailto:olston@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Tue 11/20/2007 9:29 AM
To: pig-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: possible use of Pig for OLAP

Sounds interesting. Pig is geared toward large-scale aggregation
operations, in the style of OLAP.

Regarding your 3rd paragraph question, do you mean:

a) there are several interrelated aggregation expressions that you
want evaluated in just one pass over the data, or
b) you do some initial aggregation, display it to the user, who can
do "drill-down" operations in the GUI which require you to look up
more data in the backend

?

For (a), yes Pig can do that, although currently you have to encode
it explicitly as a single Pig program (in future versions, we might
be able to take multiple related Pig programs and execute them in a
joint fashion). For (b), we don't currently have a mechanism to do
that without reloading the data, although perhaps the operating
system's file cache would help with that, under the covers, if the
file partitions fit in memory and don't get evicted.

-Chris

--
Christopher Olston, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist