hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject Re: Yahoo Pig - Some updates
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:41:16 GMT

Pig is the software.

Pig latin is the language that pig uses.

Pig != SQL (or even SQL-like).  I frankly like pig much better than SQL in
some respects (group + optional flatten works better for me, I love nested
data structures).

I think that the goals of pig and hbase shell are sufficiently different
that combining them at this point would cause serious problem.  The things
missing from pig's shell now are error messages and ability to inspect
structures and plans and reliable execution, not SQL-like query languages.

On 10/30/07 6:33 PM, "edward yoon" <webmaster@udanax.org> wrote:

>> By hbase shell are you thinking of the SQL like support? I'm not sure > about
>> that. At some point we'll want to put SQL on top of pig just > because
>> there's such a large SQL community out there, and translation > from (read
>> only) SQL->pig is fairly straight forward. So we want to > make sure we think
>> all the way through what SQL we want before we just > adopt something from
>> another project.
>
> yeah, we're ready for SQL-like query support in hbase shell.also, i'm thinking
> about extended sql query languages for (rdf, gis, matrix... etc.) on hbase.
> but now, ..
> i hope pig latin uses hadoop + hbase additionally. and using pig latin's data
> processing capacity, i hope to create an sql-like service by integrating my
> works to pig latin
> i welcome your any advice.
>
> thanks,
> edward j. yoon

> B. Regards,
> Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
> Home : http://www.udanax.org> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:44:24 -0700> From:
> gates@yahoo-inc.com> To: webmaster@udanax.org> CC:
> pig-user@incubator.apache.org> Subject: Re: Yahoo Pig - Some updates> > >
>
> edward yoon wrote:> >> After looking a little at HBase, it looks like building
> load and store > functions in pig to read from and write to hbase shouldn't be
> too hard. > >> > > yeah, i agree.> > > > > >> Changing
pig to take advantage