From Frank Luo <j...@merkleinc.com>
Subject RE: how to add a shareable node label?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2016 02:06:32 GMT
Sunil,

You confirmed my understanding. I got the understanding by reading the docs and haven’t
really tried 2.8 or 3.0-alphal.

My situation is that I am in a multi-tenant env, and  got several very powerful machines with
expensive licenses to run a particular linux job, let’s say Job_A. But the job is executed
infrequently, so I want to let other jobs to use the machines when Job_A is not running. In
the meaning time, I am not powerful enough to force all other jobs to be preemptable. As matter
of fact, I know they have Hadoop jobs inserting into sql-server, or just pure linux jobs that
are not preemptable in nature. So preempt jobs is not an option for me.

I hope it makes sense.

Frank

From: Sunil Govind [mailto:sunil.govind@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 2:15 PM
To: Frank Luo <jluo@merkleinc.com>; user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: how to add a shareable node label?

HI Frank

Ideally those containers will be preempted if there are unsatisfied demand for "configured
label".

I could explain this:
"labelA" has few empty resources.  All nodes under "default" label is used. Hence a new application
which is submitted to "default" label has to wait. But if "labelA" is non-exclusive and there
are some free resources, this new application can run on "labelA".
However if there are some more new apps submitted to "labelA", and if there are no more resources
available in "labelA", then it may preempt containers from the app which was sharing containers
earlier.

May be you could share some more information so tht it may become more clear. Also I suppose
you are running this in hadoop 3 alpha1 release. please correct me if I m wrong.

Thanks
Sunil

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:44 PM Frank Luo <jluo@merkleinc.com<mailto:jluo@merkleinc.com>>
wrote:
Thanks Sunil.

>  3. If there is any future ask for those resources , we will preempt the non labeled
apps and give them back to labeled apps.

Unfortunately, I am still not able to use it, because of the preemptive behavior. The jobs
that steals labelled resources are not preemptable, and I’d rather waiting instead of killing.