From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: i686 support
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:31:07 GMT
Thank you for sharing that.

I was expecting to see some kind of failure in building our C codebase, where a 32-bit vs.
64-bit portability problem is likely to happen.  Instead, that's a failure in Maven's handling
of a jar dependency.  I tried building from the 2.4.0 source, and I couldn't reproduce the
problem.

Is it possible that this is a problem specific to the Maven version running your build?  The
BUILDING.txt file in the root of the source tree has details on what tools and what versions
are required for the build.

--Chris Nauroth

From: Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org<mailto:ctubbsii@apache.org>>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM
To: Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com<mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com>>,
"user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: i686 support

Well, the error I got was:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jar-plugin:3.0.1:jar (default-jar)
on project hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell: You have to use a classifier to attach
supplemental artifacts to the project instead of replacing them. -> [Help 1]

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/1712/14521712/build.log

I'm not sure if this is a Fedora-specific problem (due to its dependency convergence and the
specific version of the maven-jar-plugin, for example), or if it's an upstream problem. This
was version 2.4.1. Right now, I'm just trying to stabilize the currently packaged 2.4 version,
before I begin moving towards an upgrade path for users to migrate to a newer version (2.6,
probably). It's just that I'm a bit overwhelmed with Hadoop's build and quantity of components.

Not sure where to begin looking.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 3:42 PM Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com<mailto:cnauroth@hortonworks.com>>