From "Dietrich, Paul" <paul.dietr...@honeywell.com>
Subject RE: KMS for hadoop
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 11:14:23 GMT
It can be setup standalone. The configuration property hadoop.kms.authentication.type has a
default value of simple.

Paul

From: Hafiz Mujadid [mailto:hafizmujadid00@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 1:49 AM
To: Dietrich, Paul <paul.dietrich@honeywell.com>
Cc: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: KMS for hadoop

Thanks Paul for your response.

Do I need to setup Kerberos before enabling KMS? Or KMS can be setup standalone ?

Thanks

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Dietrich, Paul <paul.dietrich@honeywell.com<mailto:paul.dietrich@honeywell.com>>
wrote:
Hafiz,
I didn’t find such a guide, but used documentation from Cloudera and Hortonworks to augment
what you found. KMS is part of Hadoop (in later versions), so it is just a matter of setting
the configuration parameters to enable it. One thing to note is that KMS should be part of
a secure cluster so you’ll need to do the necessary steps to setup Kerberos et al, which
could restrict your universe of tools that you use. Also using the file based keystore is
probably not a good idea if you are looking to use this in an “enterprise” environment.
Being able to secure and manage a key server is not trivial.

Paul