From Anu Engineer <aengin...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Failed to start namenode.
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2016 17:19:42 GMT
Hi Hafiz,

All suggestions from Rakesh are great ways to debug your current situation. However, it is
hard to answer this question without specifics of the distro. The issue is that different
vendors and apache seems to have slightly different recommendation.

If you are working with apache – here are the instructions on how to setup the Kerberos
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.2/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SecureMode.html
If you are working with Hortonworks -  https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.2/bk_installing_manually_book/content/ch_security_for_manual_installs_chapter.html
If you are working with Cloudera - http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-5-x/topics/cdh_sg_cdh5_hadoop_security.html#topic_3
If you are working with Ambari - https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.2.0/bk_Ambari_Security_Guide/content/ch_amb_sec_guide.html

It looks like you are running your Namenode without having correct Kerberos configuration
– it could be an issue with keytab or Kerberos principal that is configured.
I would start by running the klist command in the apache page, confirm that you have right
tickets, and then verify that Namenode is configured to use the correct Kerberos principal.

Not to scare you, but if you are completely new Kerberos and Hadoop – You can read this
 -- https://www.gitbook.com/book/steveloughran/kerberos_and_hadoop/details -- Even though
Steve makes is sound painful and scary -- once you set it up,  you will feel that it was not
that hard.

If you have some background in Kerberos –understanding that Kerberos is used slightly differently
in Hadoop is also useful – especially if you have to debug your cluster – The PDF attached
to this JIRA gives you some background. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4487

After the setup of your cluster, if you are still having issues with other services or HDFS
– This is a diagnostic tool that can help you. https://github.com/steveloughran/kdiag

Thanks
Anu