From "Guttadauro, Jeff" <jeff.guttada...@here.com>
Subject RE: YARN cluster underutilization
Date Wed, 25 May 2016 17:30:09 GMT
Thanks for digging into the log, Sunil, and making some interesting observations!

The heartbeat interval hasn’t been changed from its default, and I do see the yarn.resourcemanager.nodemanagers.heartbeat-interval-ms
property set to 1000 in the job configuration.  I was searching in the log for heartbeat interval
information, but I didn’t find anything.  Where do you look in the log for the heartbeats?

Also, you are correct about there being no data locality, as all the input data is in S3.
 The utilization has been fluctuating, but I can’t really see a pattern or tell why.  It
actually started out pretty low in the 20-30% range and then managed to get up into the 50-70%
range after a while, but that was short-lived, as it went back down into the 20-30% range
for quite a while.  While writing this, I saw it surprisingly hit 80%!!  First time I’ve
seen it that high in the 20 hours it’s been running…  Although looks like it may be headed
back down.  I’m perplexed.  Wouldn’t you generally expect fairly stable utilization over
the course of the job?  (This is the only job running.)

Thanks,
-Jeff

From: Sunil Govind [mailto:sunil.govind@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:55 AM
To: Guttadauro, Jeff <jeff.guttadauro@here.com>; user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: YARN cluster underutilization

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for sharing this information. I have some observations from this logs.

- I think the node heartbeat is around 2/3 seconds here. Is it changed due to some other reasons?
- And all mappers Resource Request seems to be asking for type ANY (there is no data locality).
pls correct me if I am wrong.

If the resource request type is ANY, only one container will be allocated per heartbeat for
a node. Here node heartbeat delay is also more. And I can see that containers are released
very fast too. So when u started you application, are you seeing more better resource utilization?
And once containers started to get released/completed, you are seeing under utilization.

Pls look into this line. It may be a reason.

Thanks
Sunil

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM Guttadauro, Jeff <jeff.guttadauro@here.com<mailto:jeff.guttadauro@here.com>>