From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Directly reading from datanode using JAVA API got socketTimeoutException
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2015 18:34:13 GMT
Your code has connected to a DataNode's TCP port, and the DataNode server side is likely blocked
expecting the client to send some kind of request defined in the Data Transfer Protocol.
The client code here does not write a request, so the DataNode server doesn't know what to
do.  Instead, the client immediately goes into a blocking read.  Since the DataNode server
side doesn't know what to do, it's never going to write any bytes back to the socket connection,
and therefore the client eventually times out on the read.

Stepping back, please be aware that what you are trying to do is unsupported.  Relying on
private implementation details like this is likely to be brittle and buggy.  As the HDFS code
evolves in the future, there is no guarantee that what you do here will work the same way
in future versions.  There might not even be a connectToDN method in future versions if we
decide to do some internal refactoring.

If you can give a high-level description of what you want to achieve, then perhaps we can
suggest a way to do it through the public API.

--Chris Nauroth

From: Tenghuan He <tenghuanhe@gmail.com<mailto:tenghuanhe@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 9:29 AM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Directly reading from datanode using JAVA API got socketTimeoutException

​Hello,

I want to directly read from datanode blocks using JAVA API as the following code, but I got
socketTimeoutException

I use reflection to call the DFSClient private method connectToDN(...), and get IOStreamPair
of in and out, where in is used to read bytes from datanode.
The workhorse code is

try {
    Method connectToDN;
    Class[] paraList = {DatanodeInfo.class, int.class, LocatedBlock.class};
    connectToDN = dfsClient.getClass().getDeclaredMethod("connectToDN", paraList);
    connectToDN.setAccessible(true);
    IOStreamPair pair = (IOStreamPair) connectToDN.invoke(dfsClient, datanode, timeout, lb);
    in = new DataInputStream(pair.in);
    System.out.println(in.getClass());
    byte[] b = new byte[10000];
    in.readFully(b);
} catch (Exception e) {
    e.printStackTrace();

}

and the exception is

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: 11000 millis timeout while waiting for channel to be ready
for read. ch : java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connected local=/192.168.179.1:53765<http://192.168.179.1:53765>
remote=/192.168.179.135:50010<http://192.168.179.135:50010>]
at org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketIOWithTimeout.doIO(SocketIOWithTimeout.java:164)
at org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:161)
at org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:131)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:133)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:195)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:169)
at BlocksList.main(BlocksList.java:69)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:140)​

Could anyone tell me where the problem is?

Thanks & Begards

Tenghuan He