From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Determine absolute path of a file in hdfs
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 18:29:47 GMT
Hello,

Yes, path.toUri().getPath() is a reliable way to get the absolute path without scheme or authority
as a String from a Path instance.  The Hadoop codebase itself uses this same pattern throughout
a lot of JUnit tests when we need to run assertions on an absolute path.

--Chris Nauroth

From: Richards Peter <hbkrichards@gmail.com<mailto:hbkrichards@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 1:12 AM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Determine absolute path of a file in hdfs

Hi,

I have a situation where I need to determine the absolute path of a file in hadoop as a String.
The path should exclude the schema and authority. Eg: /mn/op/data/t1.dat

I found the following option in hadoop api:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.2/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/Path.html#getPathWithoutSchemeAndAuthority%28org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path%29

The aforementioned api returns a Path object. I do not want a new Path object. Instead I would
like to obtain the path as a String.

If I have the original path stored in a variable path (Path path), will path.toUri().getPath()
be sufficient to retrieve the intended path as a String? I tried to obtain the path using
this approach and I found it to work fine for the cases that I tested. But I would like to
take a confirmation before I incorporate the code to my project.

Could you please confirm whether my approach is fine?

Thanks,
Richards Peter.