From Arpit Agarwal <aagar...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Documentation inconsistency about append write in HDFS
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 16:15:08 GMT
Hi Thanh,

Thanks for bringing it up. Append is available in 2.x releases as you pointed out and is production-ready.

Can you please file a doc bug at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP?

On Aug 2, 2015, at 8:49 PM, Thanh Hong Dai <hdthanh@tma.com.vn<mailto:hdthanh@tma.com.vn>>
wrote:

In the latest version of the documentation (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current2/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsDesign.html#Simple_Coherency_Model
and also documentation for version 2.x), it’s mentioned that “A file once created, written,
and closed need not be changed. “ and “There is a plan to support appending-writes to
files in the future.”

However, as far as I know, HDFS has supported append write since 0.21, based on this JIRA
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-265) and the old version of the documentation
in 2012 (https://web.archive.org/web/20121221171824/http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hdfs/current/hdfs_design.html#Appending-Writes+and+File+Syncs<https://web.archive.org/web/20121221171824/http:/hadoop.apache.org/docs/hdfs/current/hdfs_design.html#Appending-Writes+and+File+Syncs>)

Various posts on the Internet also suggests that append write has been available in HDFS,
and will always be available in Hadoop version 2 branch.

Can we update the documentation to reflect the most recent change? (Or will append write be
deprecated or is it not ready for production use?)