From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Grant privileges on / of hdfs file system
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2015 18:03:45 GMT
Hello Pratik,

The "hdfs" user (more specifically, whatever user launched the NameNode process) is the HDFS
super-user.  The super-user has full access to the file system and also administrative operations.
 You can declare additional users to be super-users by setting property dfs.permissions.superusergroup
in hdfs-site.xml.  The default value of this property is "supergroup".

<property>
  <name>dfs.permissions.superusergroup</name>
  <value>supergroup</value>
  <description>The name of the group of super-users.</description>
</property>

Any user you add to group "supergroup" (or whatever custom group you use if you decided to
change dfs.permissions.superusergroup) will be treated as an HDFS super-user.

It's important to keep in mind that this grants both full file system access and full administrative
access.  That means the user would be able to call sensitive operations like "hdfs dfsadmin
-safemode enter".  If this isn't appropriate, then you might explore using file system permissions
and ACLs to implement your requirements on the file system only.

More details are in the documentation here:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsPermissionsGuide.html

I hope this helps.

--Chris Nauroth