From daemeon reiydelle <daeme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop or RDBMS
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:53:15 GMT
Based on the brief description, which includes the relatively "small"
number of records, type of queries I can "imagine" the end customer would
make, my question would be how ad hoc are the queries vs. how well managed
by traditional RDBMS schemas?

Then I would be interested to understand the nature of your growth?

If commodity hardware/scalability is a driver, the size of the data
suggests traditional schema based rdbms's, perhaps with sharding such as
e.g. sharded MySQL, Postgress seems like it could scale well at the data
sizes you suggest. If you see both a significant growth and need the
ultra-ad hoc capability of a no-schema solution, I would ask if you have
considered Cassandra+Sparc (acknowledging the no-schema nature of the
repository drives quite a bit more data denormalization in C+S than in an
RDMBS.

Net net, perhaps sharded mySQL could be a middle ground?

*.......*

*“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in apretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside
in a cloud of smoke,thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter ThompsonDaemeon C.M. ReiydelleUSA
(+1) 415.501.0198London (+44) (0) 20 8144 9872*