From Smita Deshpande <smita.deshpa...@cumulus-systems.com>
Subject RE: how to delete logs automatically from hadoop yarn
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 04:53:08 GMT
Hi Rohith,
Thanks for your solution. The actual problem we are looking at is : We have a lifelong running
application, so configurations by which logs will be deleted right after application is finished
will not help us.
Because of these continuous logs, we are running out of Linux file limit and thereafter containers
are not launched because of exception while creating log directory inside application ID directory.
During the job execution itself, let’s say I want to delete container logs which are older
than week or so. So is there any configuration to do that?

Thanks,
Smita

From: Rohith Sharma K S [mailto:rohithsharmaks@huawei.com]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 10:09 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: RE: how to delete logs automatically from hadoop yarn

Hi

With below configuration , log deletion should be triggered.  You can see from the log that
deletion has been set to 3600 sec in NM like below. May be you can check NM logs for the below
log that give debug information.
“INFO org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.loghandler.NonAggregatingLogHandler:
Scheduling Log Deletion for application: application_1428298081702_0008, with delay of 10800
seconds”

But there is another configuration which affect deletion task is “yarn.nodemanager.delete.debug-delay-sec”,
default value is zero. It means immediately deletion will be triggered. Check is this is configured?
  <property>
    <description>
      Number of seconds after an application finishes before the nodemanager's
      DeletionService will delete the application's localized file directory
      and log directory.

      To diagnose Yarn application problems, set this property's value large
      enough (for example, to 600 = 10 minutes) to permit examination of these
      directories. After changing the property's value, you must restart the
      nodemanager in order for it to have an effect.

      The roots of Yarn applications' work directories is configurable with
      the yarn.nodemanager.local-dirs property (see below), and the roots
      of the Yarn applications' log directories is configurable with the
      yarn.nodemanager.log-dirs property (see also below).
    </description>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.delete.debug-delay-sec</name>
    <value>0</value>
  </property>

Thanks & Regards
Rohith Sharma K S