From Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wget.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commodity hardware
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 17:06:01 GMT
Typically that term means standard hardware which should be present per default in an enterprise
without any extras like RAID, highSpeed NICs, dual power supply and so on.
But that change more and more, since some new independent frameworks and tools enter the market,
like Spark, Kafka, Storm etc.

Conclusion: For me the term "commodityā€¯ hardware says quite nothing anymore. Today you need
to consider different types of hardware for different use cases. Depends on the goals you
want to achieve.

BR,
 Alexander

> On 12 Feb 2015, at 17:45, Adaryl Wakefield <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does anybody have a good definition of commodity hardware? I'm having a hard time explaining
it to people. I have no idea when a piece of HW is "commodity" or whatever the opposite of
commodity is.