From Andrew Johnson <ajohn...@etsy.com>
Subject Mapreduce HistoryServer Hangs Processing Large Jobs
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:42:05 GMT
Hey everyone,

I'm encountering an issue with the Mapreduce HistoryServer processing the
history files for large jobs.  This has come up several times with for jobs
with around 60000 total tasks.  When the HistoryServer loads the .jhist
file from HDFS for a job of that size (which is usually around 500 Mb), the
HistoryServer's CPU usage spiked and the UI became unresponsive.  After
about 10 minutes I restarted the HistoryServer and it was behaving normally
again.

The cluster is running CDH 5.3 (2.5.0-cdh5.3.0).  I've attached the output
of jstack from a time this was occurring.  I do have an example .jhist file
that caused the problem, but have not attached it due to its size.

Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Thanks for your help!

--
Andrew Johnson