From Jay Vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hadoop / hive / pig setup directions
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2014 16:18:28 GMT
Hi bhupendra,

The Apache BigTop project was born to solve the general problem of dealing with and verifying
the functionality of various components in the hadoop ecosystem.

Also,  it creates rpm , apt repos for installing hadoop and puppet recipes for initializing
the file system and installing components in a clear and dependency aware manner. And we have
smoke tests to validate that hive,pig, and so on all are working.

You should definitely consider checking it out of your building a hadoop environment or big
data stack.

The best way to get started is with the vagrant recipes , which spin up a cluster from scratch
for you.

Once that works, you can take the puppet code and run it on bare metal,

One advantage of this approach is that you are using bits that the community tests for you,
and will avoid reinventing the wheel of writing a bunch of shell scripts for things like synchronizing
config files, yum installing components across a cluster, smoke tests.

> On Dec 16, 2014, at 9:05 AM,  GUPTA <bhupendra1086@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Firstly am a neophyte in the world of Hadoop..
>
> So far, I have got the hadoop single node cluster running on Ubuntu.
> The end state of this was datanode and namenode servers where running..
>
> But from here, am not sure how do I proceed, in the sense, how do I get the other pieces
of the hadoop ecosystem installed and working.