From Tim Dunphy <bluethu...@gmail.com>
Subject Hadoop Learning Environment
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2014 19:28:36 GMT
Hey all,

 I want to setup an environment where I can teach myself hadoop. Usually
the way I'll handle this is to grab a machine off the Amazon free tier and
setup whatever software I want.

However I realize that Hadoop is a memory intensive, big data solution. So
what I'm wondering is, would a t2.micro instance be sufficient for setting
up a cluster of hadoop nodes with the intention of learning it? To keep
things running longer in the free tier I would either setup however many
nodes as I want and keep them stopped when I'm not actively using them. Or
just setup a few nodes with a few different accounts (with a different
gmail address for each one.. easy enough to do).

Failing that, what are some other free/cheap solutions for setting up a
hadoop learning environment?

Thanks,
Tim

--