From Jim Colestock ...@ramblingredneck.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Learning Environment
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2014 20:17:07 GMT
Hello Tim,

Horton and Cloudera both offer VM’s (Including Virtual box, which is free) you can pull
down to play with, if you’re looking just for something small to get you started.  i’m
partial to the horton works one myself.

Hope that help.

JC

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 2:28 PM, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
>  I want to setup an environment where I can teach myself hadoop. Usually the way I'll
handle this is to grab a machine off the Amazon free tier and setup whatever software I want.

> However I realize that Hadoop is a memory intensive, big data solution. So what I'm wondering
is, would a t2.micro instance be sufficient for setting up a cluster of hadoop nodes with
the intention of learning it? To keep things running longer in the free tier I would either
setup however many nodes as I want and keep them stopped when I'm not actively using them.
Or just setup a few nodes with a few different accounts (with a different gmail address for
each one.. easy enough to do).

> Failing that, what are some other free/cheap solutions for setting up a hadoop learning
environment?

> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> --