From "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <adaryl.wakefi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark vs Tez
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:46:08 GMT
My comment was in response to the suggestion to use PySpark. Perhaps I misunderstand what PySpark
is. It was my understanding that it let you work with Spark in Python. Is that not correct?

B.

From: Edward Capriolo
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:06 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Spark vs Tez

scala is not an interpreted language, from my non authoritative view it seems to have 2-3
(thousand) more compile phases than java and as a result some of the things you are doing
that look like they are "interpreted" are actually macro's that get converted into "usually"
efficient java code.

About scala in general. I have a few complains. The inter op is kinda clunky, I have to work
in scala and run into stuff, like the json mapper in scala works! that is until one property
in my scala object is actually a java object, then it does not or I should be able to call
a method in java from scala but can not figure out how to turn a Comparator into a Comparator[_:
<Any].

The immutability aspect i find to be a real PITA. It becomes really hard to write code the
way you want to and then if you do not use an immutable collection or some other fancy scala
construct people get on your case that your not writing idiomatic scala (even though few agree
on what that really is).

Generally people have a large capacity to assume, "I'm smart, I know java, and I learned lisp
in school so this scala stuff is going to be a breeze" Don't make that assumption. You will
not be proficient in writing scala for months. You likely wont be able to hire anyone that
has done much production scala. And everyone will come up to you and say "so Im trying to
(sort list|cast objects|simple thing) in scala. I can do it in java but YOUR THE EXPERT and
wondering how to do in in scala".