From oc tsdb <oc.t...@gmail.com>
Subject Standby Namenode and Datanode coexistence
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 11:19:54 GMT
Hi,

We have cluster with 3 nodes (1 namenode + 2 datanodes).
Cluster is running with hadoop 2.4.0 version.

We would like to add High Availability(HA) to Namenode using the Quorum
Journal Manager.

As per the below link, we need two NN machines with same configuration.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.4.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSHighAvailabilityWithQJM.html#Hardware
resources

Our query is:

As we have existing cluster with 3 nodes (1 namenode + 2 datanodes), can we
configure standby namenode on one of the datanodes? Will there be any
issues if we run standby namenode and datanode together?
Or we should add one more machine and configure it as standby namenode?

Regarding Journal node, Can we run it on any machine (datanode and
namenode)?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
oc.tsdb