From Henry Hung <YTHu...@winbond.com>
Subject RE: problems with Hadoop instalation
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2014 00:32:49 GMT
Try to add “/” at the end of hadoop fs -ls

So it will become
Hadoop fs -ls /

From: David Novogrodsky [mailto:david.novogrodsky@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:00 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Fwd: problems with Hadoop instalation

All,

I am new to Hadoop so any help would be appreciated.

I have a question for the mailing list regarding Hadoop.  I have installed the most recent
stable version (2.4.1) on a virtual machine running CentOS 7.  I have tried to run this command
%>Hadoop -fs ls but without success.

​The question is, what does Hadoop consider a valid JAVA_HOME directory?  And where should
the JAVA_HOME directory variable be defined?  I installed Java using the package manager yum.
 I installed the most recent version, detailed below.​

​T​
his is in my .bashrc file
# The java implementation to use.
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64

[david@localhost ~]$ hadoop fs -ls
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 133: /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java: No
such file or directory

then I tried this value for JAVA_HOME
​ in my .bashrc file.
/usr/bin/Java.
​
[david@localhost ~]$ which java
/usr/bin/java
[david@localhost ~]$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_71"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-2.5.3.1.el7_0-x86_64 u71-b14)

here is the result:
[david@localhost ~]$hadoop fs -ls
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 133: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: Not a directory
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 133: exec: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: cannot execute: Not
a directory

David Novogrodsky

The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by
the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee
indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person,
please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your
computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised
that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Winbond is strictly prohibited; and
any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Winbond shall be deemed
as neither given nor endorsed by Winbond.