From Jameel Al-Aziz <jam...@6sense.com>
Subject Unable to use transfer data using distcp between EC2-classic cluster and VPC cluster
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2014 00:45:56 GMT
Hi all,

We’re in the process of migrating from EC2-Classic to VPC and needed to transfer our HDFS
data. We setup a new cluster inside the VPC, and assigned the name node and data node temporary
public IPs. Initially, we had a lot of trouble getting the name node to redirect to the public
hostname instead of private IPs. After some fiddling around, we finally got webhdfs and dfs
-cp to work using public hostnames. However, distcp simply refuses to use the public hostnames
when connecting to the data nodes.

We’re running distcp on the old cluster, copying data into the new cluster.

The old hadoop cluster is running 1.0.4 and the new one is running 1.2.1.

So far, on the new cluster, we’ve tried:
- Using public DNS hostnames in the master and slaves files (on both the name node and data
nodes)
- Setting the hostname of all the boxes to their public DNS name
- Setting “fs.default.name” to the public DNS name of the new name node.

And on both clusters:
- Setting the “dfs.datanode.use.datanode.hostname” and “dfs.client.use.datanode.hostname”
to “true" on both the old and new cluster.

Even though webhdfs is finally redirecting to data nodes using the public hostname, we keep
seeing errors when running distcp. The errors are all similar to: http://pastebin.com/ZYR07Fvm

What do we need to do to get distcp to use the public hostname of the new machines? I haven’t
tried running distcp in the other direction (I’m about to), but I suspect I’ll run into
the same problem.

Thanks!
Jameel