From Radhe Radhe <radhe.krishna.ra...@live.com>
Subject Doubt regarding Binary Compatibility\Source Compatibility with old *mapred* APIs and new *mapreduce* APIs in Hadoop
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:19:46 GMT
Hello People,
As per the Apache site http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.3.0/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-core/MapReduce_Compatibility_Hadoop1_Hadoop2.html
 Binary Compatibility====================First, we ensure binary compatibility to the applications
that use old mapred APIs. This means that applications which were built against MRv1 mapred
APIs can run directly on YARN without recompilation, merely by pointing them to an Apache
Hadoop 2.x cluster via configuration.
Source Compatibility====================We cannot ensure complete binary compatibility with
the applications that use mapreduce APIs, as these APIs have evolved a lot since MRv1. However,
we ensure source compatibility for mapreduce APIs that break binary compatibility. In other
words, users should recompile their applications that use mapreduce APIs against MRv2 jars.
One notable binary incompatibility break is Counter and CounterGroup.
For "Binary Compatibility" I understand that if I had build a MR job with old *mapred* APIs
then they can be run directly on YARN without and changes.
Can anybody explain what do we mean by "Source Compatibility" here and also a use case where
one will need it?
Does that mean code changes if I already have a MR job source code written with with old *mapred*
APIs and I need to make some changes to it to run in then I need to use the new "mapreduce*
API and generate the new  binaries?
Thanks,-RR