From Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Differences between HistoryServer and Yarn TimeLine server?
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:35:02 GMT
1 and 4:
We have thought about that in addition to service application specific
data, the timeline server should accept the web UI plugin from the
application, install it and render the data on the web page according the
application's design, but still need to figure out the plan. Before that,
the application needs to take care of the data rendering itself, or make
use of third-party monitoring service, such as Ambari, which AFAIK, has
integration with the timeline server in the recent release (Tez is
leveraging it). And yes, it's always welcome if somebody want to contribute.

2:
REST APIs are available for accessing both the generic data and framework
specific data. For the API specification, you can temporally look at the
patch in YARN-1876.

3:
In terms of services, they're almost there. The next step would be about
the security, scalability and integration stuff.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM, Ashwin Shankar
<ashwinshankar77@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Zhijie !
> I had few more questions  :
> 1. I played around with the timeline server ui today which showed the
> generic application history details,
> but I couldn't find any page for application specific data. Is the
> expectation that every application
> needs to build their own UI using the exposed REST apis and somehow
> install it with timeline server ?
> Or am I missing something.
> 2. Are there REST apis for accessing both generic and framework specific
> data in 2.4.0 ?
> 3. Is there an approximate timeframe for timeline server to be feature
> complete ?
> 4. Tez doesn't have any job history UI,is there any work being done to
> integrate Tez with timeline server ?
> If not,is the timeline server ready for such integration in case someone
> wants to pick this up ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashwin
>

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Zhijie Shen <zshen@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Ashwin,
>>
>> YARN-321 focuses on the issue in the scope of generic application history
>> service, while YARN-1530 covers the framework specific data service. And
>> yes, the timeline server is going to cover both.
>>
>> We've not such a Jira before, but it is described in YARN-321's design
>> doc. Anyway, I open a Jira (MAPREDUCE-5858) to track this issue.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Ashwin Shankar <
>> ashwinshankar77@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Zhijie,
>>> There seems to two umbrella jiras for this - YARN-321 and YARN-1530,can
>>> you please let me know what is the
>>> difference ? Is timeline server finally going to be YARN321+YARN1530 ?
>>>
>>> You mentioned that MR is going to integrated with timeline server,is
>>> there a jira I can watch ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ashwin

MR