From Ravi Mutyala <r...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop migration downtime: Hadoop 1.x to 2.x
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:33:45 GMT
If you have a mirror of your production environment (not in size but in
versions of hardware and software), I suggest you run migration steps on
this environment to test and measure the down times.

Actual down times are dependent on components in use. You could also do
some of your backup steps by pushing namenode to safemode (which is still
down time of your cluster, but you could still be able to do some readonly
operations on the cluster)

That said, we migrated some large clusters in couple of hours but spent
days upgrading and rolling back test environments before production
environments. Also consider automating what ever you can when working of
the test environment.

Ravi

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Nirmal Kumar <nirmal.kumar@impetus.co.in>wrote:

>  All,
>

> I want to know while upgrading\migrating from Apache Hadoop 1.x to
> 2.x(MRv2+YARN) in a production cluster of several nodes is there any **anticipated
> downtime** that one needs to be aware of?
>
> I am asking this since this will hamper the **HA (High Availability)**.
>

> IMHO as with any other upgrade\migrate process, it will have some **manual
> steps**(sanity checks, backups) and need **thorough testing** before
> going live.
>

> Please share your opinions on any other reasons for the downtime.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Nirmal

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE