From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Passing data from Client to AM
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:25:31 GMT
Command line arguments & env variables are the most direct options.

A more onerous option is to write some data to a file in HDFS, use LocalResource to ship it
to the container on each node and get application code to read that file locally. (In MRv1
parlance that is "Distributed Cache").

hth,
Arun

On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman@etinternational.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at Distributed Shell as an example for writing a YARN application.
>
> My question is why are the script path and associated metadata saved as environment variables?
 Are there any other ways besides environment variables or command line arguments for passing
data from the Client to the ApplicationMaster?

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--