From Tim Potter <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: No space left on device during merge.
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:03:15 GMT
Thanks for your reply Vinod.    I've been thinking about partitioning
the data to having multiple reducers each one working on a contiguous
part of the sort space. The problems is the keys are a combination of
URLs and RDF BNodes. I can't see a way, without previously analysing the
data, of partitioning the URLs equally in the sort space. Although I'm
complete open to suggestions..   I guess I could analyse a sample of the
data and build a partition function that works well on that, then apply
it to the full data set.

I was hoping  there was a way of tuning how Hadoop sorts.

Regards,
   Tim.

On 1/24/14, 7:29 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:
> That's a lot of data to process for a single reducer. You should try
> increasing the number of reducers to achieve more parallelism and also
> try modifying your logic to avoid significant skew in the reducers.
>
> Unfortunately this means rethinking about your app, but that's the
> only way about it. It will also help you scale smoothly into the
> future if you have adjustable parallelism and more balanced data
> processing.
>
> +Vinod
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Tim Potter <tep@yahoo-inc.com
> <mailto:tep@yahoo-inc.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>        I'm getting the below error while trying to sort a lot of data with Hadoop.
>
>     I strongly suspect the node the merge is on is running out of local disk space. Assuming
this is the case, is there any way
>     to get around this limitation considering I can't increase the local disk space available
on the nodes?  Like specify sort/merge parameters or similar.

>     Thanks,
>        Tim.
>
>     2014-01-24 10:02:36,267 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.CodecPool: Got
brand-new decompressor [.lzo_deflate]
>     2014-01-24 10:02:36,280 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Merger: Down to the
last merge-pass, with 100 segments left of total size: 642610678884 bytes
>     2014-01-24 10:02:36,281 ERROR [main] org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation:
PriviledgedActionException as:XXXXXX (auth:XXXXXX) cause:org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.Shuffle$ShuffleError:
error in shuffle in OnDiskMerger - Thread to merge on-disk map-outputs
>     2014-01-24 10:02:36,282 WARN [main] org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnChild: Exception
running child : org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.Shuffle$ShuffleError: error in shuffle