From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Passing data from Client to AM
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 04:27:02 GMT
Adding values to a Configuration object does not really work unless you serialize the config
into a file and send it over to the AM and containers as a local resource. The application
code would then need to load in this file using Configuration::addResource(). MapReduce does
this by taking in all user configured values and serializing them in the form of job.xml.

-- Hitesh

On Jan 29, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Jay Vyas wrote:

> while your at it, what about adding values to the Configuration() object, does that still
work as a hack for information passing?

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Command line arguments & env variables are the most direct options.
>
> A more onerous option is to write some data to a file in HDFS, use LocalResource to ship
it to the container on each node and get application code to read that file locally. (In MRv1
parlance that is "Distributed Cache").

> hth,
> Arun
>
> On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman@etinternational.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at Distributed Shell as an example for writing a YARN application.
>>
>> My question is why are the script path and associated metadata saved as environment
variables?  Are there any other ways besides environment variables or command line arguments
for passing data from the Client to the ApplicationMaster?

>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>

> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure
or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.