From Juan Martin Pampliega <jpampli...@gmail.com>
Subject HDFS snapshots restore
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 13:47:10 GMT
Hi,

I have read the documentation about HDFS snapshots for hadoop 2 (
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsSnapshots.html)
but it is still not clear how do I use this snapshots to restore the data.

Lets say I have a directory with the data corresponding to a Hive table
that I want to backup. I take a snapshot today and tomorrow I find out that
the modifications done to the table/directory after the snapshot are wrong
and I want to revert the directory to the snapshot state. How do I achieve
this?

Also, can I extract the snapshot from HDFS and save it in an external
storage and later use it to restore this directory in a new empty cluster?
or which is the recommended way to do this?

Thanks,
Juan.