From Nirmal Kumar <nirmal.ku...@impetus.co.in>
Subject RE: Any reference for upgrade hadoop from 1.x to 2.2
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 09:25:57 GMT
Hello Sandy,

The post was useful and gave an insight of the migration.

I am doing a test migration from Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 to Apache Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha on a single
node environment.
I am having the Apache Hadoop-1.2.0 up and running.

Can you please let me know the steps that one should follow for the migration?
I am thinking of doing something like:

*         Install Apache Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha alongside the existing Apache Hadoop-1.2.0

*         Use the same HDFS locations

*         Change the various required configuration files

*         Stop Apache Hadoop-1.2.0  and start Apache Hadoop-2.0.6-alpha

*         Verify all the services are running

*         Test via mapreduce (test MRv1 and MRv2 examples)

*         Check Web UI Console and verify the MRv1 and MRv2 jobs

These above steps needs to be performed on all the nodes in a cluster environment.

The translation table mapping old configuration to new would be definitely *very* useful.

Also the existing Hadoop ecosystem components needs to be considered:

*         Hive Scripts

*         Pig Scripts

*         Oozie Workflows
Their compatibility and version support would need to be checked.

Also thinking of any risks like Data Loss, others that one should keep in mind.

Also I found: http://strataconf.com/strata2014/public/schedule/detail/32247

Thanks,
-Nirmal