From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: In YARN, how does a task tracker knows the address of a job tracker?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:27:00 GMT
MapReduce also communicates outside of what is directly supported by YARN.
In a YARN application, there is very little direct communication between the client and the
AM, and between the AM and container tasks.
I think that an AM can update to the client two pieces of information -- "state" and "percent
complete".
However, at launch time an AM can open up a protocol port and tell the client and the container
tasks how to connect back.
I don't know the details, but I believe that the MapReduce AM communicates directly with all
mapper, reducer tasks as well as the client.
John

From: ricky l [mailto:rickylee0815@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:36 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: In YARN, how does a task tracker knows the address of a job tracker?

Thank you for the answer, Omkar.

I read the links that were helpful. Though the concept of job tracker/task tracker does not
exist in the YARN MapReduce, doesn't it use the binary of job/task tracker? I though the application
master runs job tracker binary and the containers in the node will run task tracker binary.
thx

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Omkar Joshi <ojoshi@hortonworks.com<mailto:ojoshi@hortonworks.com>>