From Percy Mistry <percy_mistry2...@yahoo.com>
Subject How do organisations use Hadoop and associated technologies ?
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:21:39 GMT
Hi,
I am new to Hadoop and would like to understand how exactly are Hadoop and its associated
technologies (like Cassandra, Hive, Pig,etc..) used to achieve a business goal ? So lets say
an organization has Hadoop and Cassandra or MongoDB and everything up and running. Then
what ? What do you do with it and How ? What are the typical business applications that
run against it ? Do you have to write something in Java/Python/PHP to get anything you want
out of it ?

Like for example if the Oracle Rdbms was the new thing today then the answer to this question
would be - it can be used to develop OLTP or Data Warehouse or Analytical applications using
Java/php and PL/SQL, or using Informatica, Cognos and such tools to move and analyze data.
I guess I am looking for just real world day-to-day use cases of the Hadoop ecosystem.

Would appreciate if anyone can put this into context and perspective for me.
Thanks!
-Percy.