From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hook for Mapper kill
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:39:49 GMT

There isn't anything in the API as such. You could register your own JVM shut-down hook which
does it.

OTOH, if you are running this on Linux and a setsid binary is available, Hadoop itself will
take care of killing these additional processes - it kills the whole session in this case.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Oct 14, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Hider, Sandy wrote:

> I know the task tracker frequently kill mappers.  During the mapper setup we are kicking
off a runtime executable and passing data to and from it within the mapper using unix named
pipes.
> This works OK until a mappers are killed.  Currently when this happens the standalone
executable is left as a zombie process taking up resources.

> Is there any way for my mapper to be notified of the kill and allow it to shutdown the
executable before being killed off?  A shutdown hook of some kind?

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE