From java8964 java8964 <java8...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: File formats in Hadoop: Sequence files vs AVRO vs RC vs ORC
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:53:59 GMT
I am also thinking about this for my current project, so here I share some of my thoughts,
but maybe some of them are not correct.
1) In my previous projects years ago, we store a lot of data as plain text, as at that time,
people thinks the Big data can store all the data, no need to worry about space issues, until
we run out of space in the cluster very fast :-). So lesson number 1, don't store them as
text file.2) To compress text file, we need a container for the file, like 'Seq file', 'Avro'
or 'proto buf'. I didn't use RC/ORC before, so it will be interested to know more about them
later.3) I did a benchmark before, for the data sets we are using, there is also a webpage
about the benchmark result. You can google it. I believe the performance from them are close.
The real questions are:    a) Language supports    b) Flexible of serialization format
c) How easy it can be used in tools like 'pig/hive' etc.    d) How good it supported in hadoop.
>From my experience, sequence file is not good supported outside of Java language, and
it is just a key/value storage, if your data have nest structure data, like your XML/JSON
data, you still need a serialization format like google protobuf or Avro to handle it. Store
directly XML/JSON in HDFS is really not a good idea. As any InputFormat to support split for
them them all requires strict format of the data, and compression won't work very nicely on
these kind of data.
We originally used google protobuf a lot, as twitter releases the elephant-bird as open source
to support it in hadoop. It is a big plus for it at that time. But recently, we also start
to consider Avro seriously now, as it is better supported directly in hadoop. I also like
its schema-less vs schema objects both options design. It gives us some flexibility in designing
MR jobs.
Thanks
Yong