From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: How to best decide mapper output/reducer input for a huge string?
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2013 23:08:18 GMT
Pavan,
How large are the rows in HBase?  22 million rows is not very much but you mentioned "huge
strings".  Can you tell which part of the processing is the limiting factor (read from HBase,
mapper output, reducers)?
John

From: Pavan Sudheendra [mailto:pavan0591@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:17 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to best decide mapper output/reducer input for a huge string?

No, I don't have a combiner in place. Is it necessary? How do I make my map output compressed?
Yes, the Tables in HBase are compressed.
Although, there's no real bottleneck, the time it takes to process the entire table is huge.
I have to constantly check if i can optimize it somehow..
Oh okay.. I'll implement a Custom Writable.. Apart from that, do you see any thing wrong with
my design? Does it require any kind of re-work? Thank you so much for helping..

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Pradeep Gollakota <pradeepg26@gmail.com<mailto:pradeepg26@gmail.com>>