From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: assign tasks to specific nodes
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:45:38 GMT

I assume you are talking about MapReduce. And 1.x release or 2.x?

In either of the releases, this cannot be done directly.

In 1.x, the framework doesn't expose a feature like this as it is a shared service, and if
enough jobs flock to a node, it will lead to utilization and failure handling issues.

In Hadoop 2 YARN, the platform does expose this functionality. But MapReduce framework doesn't
yet expose this functionality to the end users.

What exactly is your use case? Why are some nodes of higher priority than others?

Thanks,
+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

On Sep 11, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Mark Olimpiati wrote:

> Thanks for replying Rev, but the link is talking about reducers which seems to be like
a similar case but what if I assigned priorities to the data partitions (eg. partition B=1,
partition C=2, partition A=3,...) such that first map task is assigned partition B to run
first. Then second map is given partition C, .. etc. This is instead of assigning based on
partition size. Is that possible?

> Thanks,
> Mark
>

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Ravi Prakash <ravihoo@ymail.com> wrote:
> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Assigning-reduce-tasks-to-specific-nodes-td4022832.html

least assign priorities to the tasks to be executed in that order. Any suggestions?

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE