From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: setLocalResources() on ContainerLaunchContext
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 01:47:29 GMT
It is kinda unnecessary to be asking developers to load in timestamps and
length themselves. Why not provide a java.io.File, or perhaps a Path
accepting API, that gets it automatically on their behalf using the
FileSystem API internally?

P.s. A HDFS file gave him a FNF, while a Local file gave him a proper
TS/Len error. I'm guessing there's a bug here w.r.t. handling HDFS
paths.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Hitesh Shah <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Krishna,
>
> YARN downloads a specified local resource on the container's node from the url specified.
In all situtations, the remote url needs to be a fully qualified path. To verify that the
file at the remote url is still valid, YARN expects you to provide the length and last modified
timestamp of that file.

> If you use an hdfs path such as hdfs://namenode:port/<absolute path to file>, you
will need to get the length and timestamp from HDFS.
> If you use file:///, the file should exist on all nodes and all nodes should have the
file with the same length and timestamp for localization to work. ( For a single node setup,
this works but tougher to get right on a multi-node setup - deploying the file via a rpm should
likely work).

> -- Hitesh
>
> On Aug 6, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Omkar Joshi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You need to match the timestamp. Probably get the timestamp locally before adding
it. This is explicitly done to ensure that file is not updated after user makes the call to
avoid possible errors.

>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <write2kishore@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I tried the following and it works!
>> String shellScriptPath = "file:///home_/dsadm/kishore/kk.ksh";
>>
>> But now getting a timestamp error like below, when I passed 0 to setTimestamp()
>>
>> 13/08/06 08:23:48 INFO ApplicationMaster: Got container status for containerID= container_1375784329048_0017_01_000002,
state=COMPLETE, exitStatus=-1000, diagnostics=Resource file:/home_/dsadm/kishore/kk.ksh changed
on src filesystem (expected 0, was 1367580580000

>> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Can you try passing a fully qualified local path? That is, including the file:/ scheme
>>
>> On Aug 6, 2013 4:05 PM, "Krishna Kishore Bonagiri" <write2kishore@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Hi Harsh,
>>    The setResource() call on LocalResource() is expecting an argument of type org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.URL
which is converted from a string in the form of URI. This happens in the following call of
Distributed Shell example,

>> shellRsrc.setResource(ConverterUtils.getYarnUrlFromURI(new URI( shellScriptPath)));
>>
>> So, if I give a local file I get a parsing error like below, which is when I changed
it to an HDFS file thinking that it should be given like that only. Could you please give
an example of how else it could be used, using a local file as you are saying?

>> 2013-08-06 06:23:12,942 WARN org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.container.Container:
Failed to parse resource-request

--
Harsh J