From "Lanati, Matteo" <Matteo.Lan...@lrz.de>
Subject Re: HBase client with security
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:35:43 GMT
Hi Devaraj,

you're right, I just subscribed, sorry for the spam.

Matteo

On Aug 29, 2013, at 3:31 PM, Devaraj k <devaraj.k@huawei.com> wrote:

> Please ask this question in user@hbase.apache.org, you would get better response there.

> Thanks
> Devaraj k

(indeed I can use the same client to run MR jobs and interact with HDFS).
> Regarding HBase client configuration:
>
> - hbase-site.xml specifies
>
>  <property>
>    <name>hbase.security.authentication</name>
>    <value>kerberos</value>
>  </property>
>  <property>
>    <name>hbase.rpc.engine</name>
>    <value>org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.SecureRpcEngine</value>
>  </property>
>  <property>
>    <name>hbase.zookeeper.quorum</name>
>    <value>master.hadoop.local,host49.hadoop.local</value>
>  </property>
>
> where the zookeeper hosts are reachable and can be solved via DNS. I had to specify them
otherwise the shell complains about "org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException:
KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase/hbaseid"

> - I have a keytab for the principal I want to use (<user running hbase/my client hostname@MYREALM>),
correctly addressed by the file hbase/conf/zk-jaas.conf. In hbase-env.sh, the variable HBASE_OPTS
points to zk-jaas.conf.

> Nonetheless, when I issue a command from a HBase shell on the client machine, I got an
error in the HBase master log

> 2013-08-29 10:11:30,890 WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC Server listener on
60000: readAndProcess threw exception org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Authentication
is required. Count of bytes read: 0
> org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Authentication is required
> 	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.SecureServer$SecureConnection.readAndProcess(SecureServer.java:435)
> 	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Listener.doRead(HBaseServer.java:748)
> 	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Listener$Reader.doRunLoop(HBaseServer.java:539)
> 	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Listener$Reader.run(HBaseServer.java:514)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
> 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> It looks like there's a mismatch between the client and the master regarding the authentication
mechanism. Note that from the same client machine I can launch and use a Zookeeper shell.