From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Machine hangs from time to time
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 01:53:10 GMT

How many map/reduce slots are you running per TT? How much memory is available per node? Did
you enable memory management? - See http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/cluster_setup.html#Memory+monitoring

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Aug 14, 2013, at 6:34 PM, Chun-fan Ivan Liao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using Hadoop 1.0.3 on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. Hadoop servers include 1 NN/JT, 1 SNN/DN
& several DNs.

> From time to time, some of the servers just hanged, cannot be pinged, screen blackened
out, not responding to keyboard input and lost connection with the NN. Lately, one DN was
hanged even when there is no job to run. Specifically, the unresponsive happens not on all
machines. It usually happens on several specific DNs.

> How to tackle this problem? Does it leave a trace when the system crashes/hangs?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE